October 12, 2009

comic preview and self-doubt


Here's a preview of my comic. It's coming along slower than I'd like it to, but I'm really taking my time with it because I want to try and do the best that I can, and grow as an artist. I haven't worked on a comic in a long time, so it's kind of hard to get back into it.

Also, I have a lot of hope for this comic, which gives me a new set of insecurities. As pretentious as it may sound or whatever, I'm kind of considering this my masterpiece...it says a lot about me as an artist, I feel, and it's probably the happiest I've been working on a comic since years ago. There's definitely a lot of me in there, both as a writer and an artist, and for that reason I'm incredibly scared of failure or rejection. I think that's what's had me frozen from doing comics seriously for so long. Ever since I was a kid, I knew I wanted to be a comic artist, and it's pretty frightening to come to terms with the idea that you may just not be talented enough to fulfill your lifelong dream. It's been crippling to me in the past. But nowadays, there are so many options for artists, especially with the internet and all, that pretty much if you make something, someone, somewhere, will find it interesting. So that's encouraging. 

And recently I've also realized that sometimes in our human flurries to fulfill our wishes, meet self-imposed deadlines or worry about supposed expectations, we can lose track of why we enjoy that thing which do, that we hope to build a career with. The point in doing comics is to have fun, and to express oneself. And I'm letting myself do that again now. :)

So any comments, concerns, pointers, feedback whatsoever on my page would be most appreciated. Like I said I'm very seriously working on it and want it to be the best it can be! And sometimes you stare at something so long you lose all objectivity. 

Sorry for the long, rambling post! I'm very tired and my hand is cramping up, so good night!

3 comments:

Luke Maurits said...

This looks fantastic! I know I say that about everything you do, but I really want you to take it seriously on this one. If you can keep up this standard of art for the entire comic it will truly be worthy of being called your masterpiece.

X said...

can't wait to see more!

Sophie said...

i think it looks great!!! love all those desks in the last panel. more more more

i know what you mean about facing all the obstacles that come with art and/or comics, i don't think there's any real advice to be given there. i think you have the right idea, just to have fun with it and everything else will follow.